[seqfan] Re: n-dimensional simplices

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 19:42:43 CET 2008

Without having checked the arithmetic, I like this sequence.

There are seqs in OEIS on triangles (many), tetraheda (a few),
pentatopes (4-simplices), and some higher order polytopes.

I spare the less interested readers a digression on why the
combinatorics of simplices are important, except to note that
triangularization of polygons (several seqs), and tetrahedralization
of polyhedra (any seqs beyond the polytetrahedra one that I still need
to revise?) are important in geometry and topology. There is also some
work of sufficently general interest to have been (badly) covered in a
recent Scientific American about how rule-based structures of
pentatopes allow a pre-geometry to evolve into a geometry which is
like Minkowski 4-space at large scales, and like 2-D Euclidean
geometry at small scales.  Hence this subject is important in Physics.
 Although I just came from teaching a Biology class and a Chemistry
class, I'll not go into how important tetrahedra are in organic
chemistry and, as njas knows far better than, point-group
crystallography.

So yes, I want to see the sequences submitted and extendced and xref'd.