[seqfan] Re: Proof or counter sample needed

Mitch Harris maharri at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 17:54:20 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Maximilian Hasler
<maximilian.hasler at gmail.com> wrote:

> (b) I think in %N A073009,  "... = Integrate(x^(-x),{x,0,1}) "
> should be replaced by "... = integral( x^(-x), 0<x<1 )"
> or something similar: "x in [0,1]" or "x=0...1" etc.
> Curly braces are used to denote sets, anticommutators or Poisson
> brackets (if there are 2 arguments), or the fractional part of a
> number (if there is only 1 argument). Here none of these seem to
> apply.

"Integrate(x^(-x),{x,0,1}) " is in Mathematica notation (sort of; it
should be "Integrate[...]").

There is a wide range of ways to specify summation and integration in
OEIS, which are motivated by trying to accommodate traditional
mathematical practice to ascii. Using Mathematica is just another way
(which is to say, you're right, but the many other ways are not
wrong). Making notation in OEIS consistent would be nice, but I think
not as near the top of the list as fixing mathematical errors or
adding mathematical info.

Mitch Harris