[seqfan] Re: A certain semigroup

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 22:01:43 CET 2008

David,

Rephrasing your definition, two words S and T are "equivalent" if they
are of the form S=UXYZYXV and T=UYXZXYV for some (possibly empty)
words U,V,X,Y,Z.
However, there is a problem with this definition that can be
illustrated with the following three words:

S1 = abbaccb
S2 = baabccb
S3 = baacbbc

It is clear that S1 is "equivalent" S2 (taking U=Z=empty, X=a, Y=b,
V=ccb) and S2 is "equivalent" to S3 (taking U=baa, X=b, Y=c,
V=Z=empty). But S1 is NOT "equivalent" to S3! Hence, this
"equivalence" is not real equivalence relation as it does not obey
transitivity.

With this respect, it is not clear what you count. There may exists
multiple maximum pairwise non-"equivalent" sets of words of different
cardinality. Are you interested in a set of the maximum cardinality?

Regards,
Max