[seqfan] Re: Sieving method for composite numbers described / used in A146071

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 20:59:18 CET 2008

Unfortunately, Mathworld's article forgot to mention the most
important property of sieving which is efficiency. The whole idea
behind sieving is replacing computationally expensive operations (such
as integer factorization) with cheap ones (such as enumerating
multiple of an integer).
As Maximilian already pointed out, your procedure is very ineffective
as it requires factorization of integers. In fact, it no better then
simply checking if every number in the interval for primality.

Regards,
Max