[seqfan] User-led Science - Call for Articles.

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 06:03:07 CEST 2009

From:
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/user-led-science-a-special-issue-of-the-journal-of-science-communication/2009/03/30
which in turn is copied from http://jcom.sissa.it/call**

Science is increasingly being produced, discussed and deliberated with
cooperative tools by web users and without the institutionalized presence of
scientists. "Popular science" or "Citizen science" are two of the
traditional ways of defining science grassroots produced outside the walls
of laboratories. But the internet has changed the way of collecting and
organising the knowledge produced by people - peers - who do not belong to
the established scientific community. In this issue we want to discuss:

- How web tools are changing and widening this way of participating in the
production of scientific knowledge. Do this increase in participation
consist in a real shift towards democratizing science or on the contrary is
merely a rhetoric which do not affect the asymmetrical relationships between
citizens and institutions?

- The ways in which both academic and private scientific institutions are
appropriating this knowledge and its value. Do we need a new model to
understand these ways of production and appropriation? Are they part of a
deeper change in productive paradigms?

We would like to collect both theoretical contributions and research
articles which address for example case studies in social media and science,
peer production, the role of private firms in exploiting web arenas to
collect scientific/medical data from their costumers, online social
movements challenging communication incumbents, web tools for development.

Interested authors should submit an extended abstract of no more than 500
words (in English) to the issue editor by May 15, 2009. We will select three
to five papers for inclusion in this special issue. Abstracts should be sent
to the JCOM's editorial office (jcom-eo at jcom.sissa.it) by email and NOT via
the regular submission form.

---

(I might even write something by myself...)**

**
**