[seqfan] Re: confused about toothpick sequence A139250!

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:50:08 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM,  <franktaw at netscape.net> wrote:
> Actually, the configurations aren't all that different.  Start with
> one, rotate each toothpick a quarter-turn, and then rotate the whole
> configuration a quarter turn, and you get the other one.

Nice! So in the cellular space interpretation you described, this
would correspond to this: on an infinite chessboard, begin with one
white cell "on" (step 1), then:
- at the step 2n, turn on those black cells which have exactly one
horizontal neighbour,
- at the step 2n+1, turn on those white cells which have exactly one
vertical neighbour.
Then a(n) is the number of cells "on" after the n^th step.

Benoit