[seqfan] Re: Question about A002577 (Number of partitions of 2^n into powers of 2)

Prof. Dr. Alois Heinz heinz at hs-heilbronn.de
Mon Apr 20 17:32:04 CEST 2009

Dear Valentin Bakoev,

thank you for your mail.  It helped to answer my questions.

I had looked into your paper before and there are no problems
with the paper.  But I was not able to find a satisfactory
explanation for your comments in the OEIS.  Now the situation
seems to be clear to me.

1) The comment in A000290 interprets "the sum 2^2+2^2+...2^2,
   (n-1)-times" as "an expression, which addends are partitioned".
   This means, that no powers of 2 larger than 2^2=4 are allowed
   to express its value 4n-4.  This is consistent to my interpretation
   "a(n+1) is also the number of partitions of 4n into the first
   3 powers of 2 (parts of size 1, 2, 4)."

2) The comments in A002577, A078125, A125792, A125801 regard
   the "input number n" as the input size, which is not correct here.

   When we say, that addition of two numbers can be performed in
   linear time - O(k) - or that multiplication of numbers can be
   performed in time O(k*log(k)*log(log(k))), k is always the total
   number of bits in the input, not the value of the numbers.
   (Otherwise, addition would be very time consuming.)

   So the number of bits k of the "input number n" for A002577 is
   k = ceiling (log_2 (n+1)).  A polynomial of degree n now has
   exponential size with respect to the input size k.  And the
   running time of the algorithm is exponential too, not polynomial.

I would suggest changing or deleting the comments in A000290,
A002577, A078125, A125792, A125801.

Best regards,  Alois