[seqfan] Re: Offsets for Recurrence Sequences

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Fri Apr 24 15:06:20 CEST 2009

Peter said:

> Is it really true that in the 21 century people
> can agree on what a real function is and what a
> complex function is but not on what a sequence is?

After collecting sequences for 45 years, I guess I can answer that.
The asnwer is Yes, it is true.

Rememeber that the most complicated entry in the Oxford English Disctionary
is that for the word "set".

"Sequence" is not "set", but it still has a lot of meanings.

So does the word "function".

Anyway, a more relevany question is "what is a sequence in the OEIS?"
and for that one can start by looking at the "Format" link on any OEIS page.

I won't repeat what it says here.

Neil