[seqfan] Re: Futurevalue considered harmful

Raff, Paul praff at math.rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 24 16:59:01 CEST 2009

> -----
> Incidentally, someone (I've lost track of who) made the comment (I'm
> paraphrasing) that business analysts aren't very sophisticated
> mathematically, and might use an expression like futurevalue(x,2,2)
> without realizing that this is the same as 9*x.

I believe it was me who said that comment, and I just wanted to clarify,
since that definitely wasn't my intent. I was simply trying to mention that
they speak in a different language that we do, and I would wager that some
of them would get the idea quicker told in a future value context than with
straight-up mathematics.

            [paul]