[seqfan] OEIS wiki and editing

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Sat Dec 5 14:50:01 CET 2009

IMPORTANT: Remember, the wiki has not yet been launched.

Robert Munafo: > I don't understand how the current system with Associate Editors can
move over to the Wiki, unless every article (sequence) is protected.

Me:  As I understand it, there will be 4 classes of users of the OEIS Wiki:

1: general users
2: registered users
3: editors
4: bosses

1 = anyone
2 = people who have filled out the registration page
3 = the 50 or so associate editors of the OEIS (see the Welcome Page)
4 = David Applegate and myself, to start with

1 : can see any "approved" page but can not change anything.
2 : can propose new sequences and changes to existing sequences;
      these proposals remain invisible to class 1 folks until
      they have been approved by one of the editors
3 : will review and edit proposals and changes made by class 2 users,
      and can mark a new version of a page as "approved"
4 : will watch over everything

(So, Yes, in a sense every page will be protected)

Class 1 users will be able to see the current "approved" (or "stable")
version of a page, plus all earlier versions ("history"), but not versions
waiting to be approved.

Registered users will be able to see the current "approved" (or "stable")
version of a page, plus all earlier versions ("history") and all versions
waiting to be approved.

The editors will regularly scan the list of pages that are
waiting to be approved, and will edit and approve them (or not).

If someone vandalizes a page, we will un-register them so
they will no longer be able to propose changes.

I hope I've got this right - Dave will correct me if I'm wrong.

Note that this system is not yet working - right now people
can only look at the wiki pages but cannot change anything.
But we would like to get comments about the format, layout,
etc. of the wiki pages. The url is oeis.org/wiki .

IMPORTANT: Remember, the wiki has not yet been launched.

Neil