[seqfan] Re: Property of Fibonacci sequence modulo M

Jack Brennen jfb at brennen.net
Wed Dec 2 20:48:04 CET 2009

Yeah, thanks for pointing that OEIS sequence out.
So my question is whether the second column in your
triangular array contains every integer >= 2?  Seems
plausible, but also seems beyond the realm of proof
unless somebody can find a constructive method to
generate examples for a particular target value.

Using just some ad hoc guessing, I was able to find, for instance,
that a(396883212) == 65.  It seems "easy" in some way to find
examples where the target is an odd number of the form 2^n+1.
For instance, multiply that number by 59, and you get:
a(23416109508) == 129.

The same ad hoc method gave me a(3571948908) == 35, which is a
relatively large odd target not of the form 2^N+1.  (This number
is just the original number above multiplied by 9.)

(Note that the Pisano periods for all of these examples fall into
the 6-digit to 7-digit range.  The brute force method that I'm using
of calculating one entire Pisano period and counting the times that
1 occurs can probably be improved by orders of magnitude by applying
a little more ingenuity.)

But I still don't see an obvious constructive method; for instance,
if a(X*Y) is equal to 13, what values of X and Y should we choose
to make the search most productive?  How do a(X) and a(Y) relate
to a(X*Y) for X,Y relatively prime?  The function isn't multiplicative
in the rigorous sense, but it does have some multiplicative properties
in that a(X*Y) is related to a(X) and a(Y) in some sense.