[seqfan] Re: non-descriptive titles

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Thu Dec 10 03:00:00 CET 2009

Maximilian,  You are right - in fact there are a huge
number of entries in the OEIS where you have to go to
the original reference to find the definition.

But remember, the OEIS is intended to help you identify
a sequence that you have come across in your work.

That is its primary function.

And if you see "this sequence is mentioned in such-and-such reference",
you will not complain!  In fact you will write to me and say
"The OEIS saved me 6 months of work".  I get emails like that all the time.

OTOH I agree that it would be nice to have a self-contained definition for
every sequence.  But a first step would be to
have links to every journal and book reference - that's an
easier problem to solve.

Having said all this, I will copy it to the seq fans mailing list.

 Best regards
 			 Neil