[seqfan] Re: help needed with Mediawiki's Lucene-search extension

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Fri Dec 18 00:34:30 CET 2009

Joerg said:

> ...and it works phantastically well.
If at all possible, I suggest keeping it
for the search of sequences.

The trouble is, Russ Cox's search takes its data from
"cat25", which is the big flat file that contains
ALL the sequences, in the internal format.

wc cat25
  2612489  21440539 176452802 cat25

But once the wiki is stabilized, cat25 will go away.
It would require a huge amount of work to modify
Russ's program so that it takes its data from the
170,000 individual wiki pages, all written in
wiki language.  (Of course we considered this,
it was our first choice.  But it won't work.)

Neil