[seqfan] Re: Christmas puzzle, reformulated :)

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Dec 25 19:12:50 CET 2009

See A002374, A078587.  You are requiring that the prime be at least 2
away from n, which is not in the database; but this seems like an
arbitrary condition.

That the values for the smaller prime remain positive is in the
category of "minor extensions to Goldbach's conjecture"; it is almost
certainly true but not proved.  That there is always a solution follows
 from the conjecture that every even number is the difference of two
primes [infinitely many ways], which with the infinitely many ways
condition is a minor extension to the twin prime conjecture; even
without it this remains unproved as far as I know; but this falls into
the "there's no way this can be false" category.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters