[seqfan] Re: David Wilson's candy question

David Wilson dwilson at gambitcomm.com
Tue Feb 3 22:17:52 CET 2009

This sort of question is notoriously difficult.

We do not know, for example, whether there are an infinite number of
squares involving only the digits 2,4 and 8. There doesn't seem to be a
family of such squares, so the statistics argue for a finite number, but
proving this is currently impossible, and it is yet harder to prove that
we have all the values. ;-)  I suspect the finiteness of my sequence
will rest on an open question of this sort.

I'm not much worried about credits, or even adding this sequence to the
OEIS.