[seqfan] Re: 6 Complementary Sequences

Paul D Hanna pauldhanna at juno.com
Tue Feb 3 03:25:46 CET 2009

Seqfans,
     Sorry - typo - need to make correction to n=8:
 n:   x,  y,  z;    u,  v,  w;
 8: 13, 32, 52;  19, 20, 39;
Not even sure that the other terms are correct.
Thus the need for a program!
   Paul

-- "Paul D Hanna" <pauldhanna at juno.com> wrote:
Seqfans,
    Consider the 6 permutation sequences x,y,z, and u,v,w,
where the union of x,y,z, forms the distinct positive integers
and the union of u,v,w, forms the distinct positive integers
and the elements of x,y,z, are chosen such that:
(1) x(n),y(n),z(n), are the least positive integers not appearing earlier in {x},{y},{z};
(2) u(n)=y(n)-x(n), v(n)=z(n)-y(n), w(n)=z(n)-x(n) = u(n)+v(n),
are the least positive integers not appearing earlier in {u},{v},{w}.

Below I give the initial terms of these sequences.

                   u,  v,  w;
 n:  x,  y,  z;  y-x,z-y,z-x;
 1:  1,  2,  4;   1,  2,  3;
 2:  3,  7, 12;   4,  5,  9;
 3:  5, 11, 18;   6,  7, 13;
 4;  6, 14, 24;   8, 10, 18;
 5;  8, 19, 31;  11, 12, 23;
 6;  9, 23, 38;  14, 15, 29;
 7; 10, 26, 43;  16, 17, 33;
 8: 13, 26, 43;  19, 20, 39;
 9: 15, 36, 58;  21, 22, 43;
10: 16, 40, 65;  24, 25, 49;
11: 17, 44, 70;  27, 26, 53;
12: 20, 48, 78;  28, 30, 58;
13: 21, 53, 84;  32, 31, 63;
14: 22, 56, 90;  34, 35, 69;
15: 25, 61, 98;  36, 37, 73;
16: 27, 67,105;  40, 38, 78;

This is done by hand, so there may be errors.

I am curious about what these limits tend to be as n grows:
* limit x(n)/n = ?
* limit y(n)/n = ?
* limit u(n)/n = ?
* limit v(n)/n = ?

and would like to get some idea of these limits at n=100 or so.

Would anyone be adept enough at programming to obtain more terms?

Thanks,
    Paul