[seqfan] Re: Rank of a prime (Collatz/Syracuse)

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Mon Feb 9 17:25:52 CET 2009

Bob,  sorry I missed your version!  But I see now that you
did not use the SubmitN.html submit form (instead you put
it in an email message to the seqfan list).
Also your definition was just a place-holder (all you said was
%N A000001 Number of iterations to repeat a term.
, without saying what was being iterated).
Also now that I look at it, I don't agree with all your values!

You: 2,3,4,7,5,31,8,55,4,33,6,...

Me:  1,2,3,6,4,31,7,56,4,34,5 (based on email from J.T.)

RJM: 1,2,3,6,4,31,7,55,4,33,5,

My definition is this:  if the trajectory of n goes like this

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...

and we see a repeat for the first time at step 8,
then a(n) would be 8

Neil