[seqfan] Re: FYI - Terence Tao's remark, mentioning OEIS

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:18:10 CET 2009

Terry Tao has a very fine thread on Collaboration in his blog.
Coincidently, I just quoted him on the n-Category Cafe blog on the
recurring seqfans topic of  open source mathematics and what makes a
sequence beautiful:

==============
Person Standing
Posted by David Corfield</a>

Tim Gowers is engaged in a new venture in open source mathematics. As
one might expect from a leading representative of the
'problem-solving' culture, Gowers has proposed a blog-based group
problem solving challenge.

He motivates his choice of problem thus:

    Does the problem split naturally into subtasks? That is, is it
parallelizable? I'm actually not completely sure that that's what I'm
aiming for. A massively parallelizable project would be something more
like the classification of finite simple groups, where one or two
people directed the project and parcelled out lots of different tasks
to lots of different people, who go off and work individually. But I'm
interested in the question of whether it is possible for lots of
people to solve one single problem rather than lots of people to solve
one problem each. [truncated]

==============

Tao on Lax as Miraculous; Re: Last Person Standing

In Bulletin of the AMS, Vol.46, No.1, Jan 2009, p.10, of Terry Taos's
wonderful survey "Why Are Solitons Stable?" he says of the inverse
scattering approach:

"This is a vast subject that can be viewed from many different
algebraic and geometric perspectives; we shall content ourselves with
describing the approach based on Lax pairs, which has the advantage of
simplicity, provided that one is willing to accept a rather miraculous
algebraic identity…."

So, beauty from something that looks at first like a weird
coincidence, which on further analysis is so deep that it appears a
miracle, even to a genius such as Tao!

Surely this matters very much, both in the Physics and the Mathematics
perpectives.