[seqfan] Re: Partitions and Dice

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Feb 21 10:37:45 CET 2009

OK, this looks correct.  The original comment did lack the "off by 1"
part.

This leads me to wonder: is t he number of partitions of n into k
parts, each <= k, always equal to the number of partitions of n-1 into
k-1 parts, each <= k+1?  This is the case k=5; I checked k=2 (trivial)
and k=3.  So it seems very likely to me that these are always the same.
  I don't see any simple correspondence, though -- if the partition into
k parts includes a 1, you can simply remove it; but there is no obvious
transformation for the partitions that do not include a 1.  Can anyone
supply a proof, here?

Franklin T. Adams-Watters