[seqfan] Re: Alternating Vertical and Horizontal Moves In Grid

Giovanni Resta g.resta at iit.cnr.it
Wed Feb 25 17:06:06 CET 2009

Leroy Quet wrote:

 > Start with an n-by-n grid. Move from square to adjacent square by
moving vertically then horizontally then vertically then horizontally,
following each horizontal move with a vertical move, and following each
vertical move with a horizontal move.
 > No square may be visited more than once.
 >
 > a(n) = the maximum number of squares visitable in this way on an
n-by-n grid.

 > A variation: You must start in a corner square.

I'm a in a hurry, but it seems that the numbers are (from n=1 to n=10):

starting from any point:
1,4,8,14,20,32,40,58,68,93

pictures of above values at this (temporary) address:
http://ilex.iit.cnr.it/resta/Leroy.pdf

starting from a corner:
1,4,8,13,19,30,40,56,68,90

I've not checked these values very well,
so take them with caution.

giovanni resta