[seqfan] Re: suggestion: new keywords "polynomial", "rational", "conj.polynomial", "conj.rational"

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Thu Feb 26 10:06:34 CET 2009

* andre maute <andre.maute at gmx.de> [Feb 26. 2009 10:36]:
> I would like to suggest the following 4 additional keywords
>
> "polynomial",
> there is a polynomial function p(n) producing the sequence
>
> "rational",
> there is a rational function p(n)/q(n) producing the sequence

Both appear useful to me.
May be unified by a keyword "rec" for linear recurrence with
constant coefficients (?).

But who will add the keywords to the very many seqs where they apply?

> "conj-polynomial",
> there could exist a polynomial function p(n) producing the sequence
>
> "conj-rational"
> there could exist a rational function p(n)/q(n) producing the sequence
>
> The conj-variants, meaning conjecture, could be applied if e.g.
> a computer algebra script could collect enough evidence.

Uhm, I vote against conj-* keywords.  A comment will do.
Note that short sequences allow for a lot of conjectures
that vaporize with the next one or two terms.