[seqfan] Re: F Numbers

David Wilson dwilson at gambitcomm.com
Thu Jan 8 21:06:34 CET 2009

I really think the way this should be handled is to supply an index for
each sequence.

Sequences defined on the positive integers would have index sequence
A000027, those defined on the nonnegative integers A001477, etc.  This
would make it easy to define an integer function on, say, the primes or
the squarefree numbers, we could just give A000040 or A005117 as the
index sequence.

For multidimensional sequences, we might either specify tuple indexes by
functions on sequences such as

    join(x, y, z, ...) = { (x(n), y(n), z(n), ...) }

or

    tuple(x, k) = { (x(kn), x(kn+1), ..., x(kn+(k-1))) }

so that

    join(A002262, A025881) = tuple(A057554, 2)  = { (0,0), (0,1), (1,0),
(0,2), (1,1), (2,0), ... }

is the standard diagonal index of N x N (here N includes 0). You could
define other index sequences to traverse a multidimensional domain in
any way that is amenable to the function at hand.

To index on the nonnegative rationals, we could use index join(A007305,
A007306).

Sequences like "a(n) = some function of prime(n)" could be changed to
"a(n) = some function of n" with index A000040. Sequences like "a(n) =
some function of n, or -1 if undefined" could be changed to "a(n) = some
function of n" with an index sequence containing only the values for
which a(n) is defined.

At the moment, I have not thought about functions of partitions and
such. One idea is indexing on A025847, equating A025847(n) to the
partition described by the exponents in its standard prime factorization
(e.g, partition (2,1,1,1) is encoded as 2^2*3*5*7 = 420 = A025847(29)).

This approach is quite flexible, and only requires adding a new sequence
line for the index sequence.