[seqfan] Re: Partitions and A101509

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 22:18:33 CET 2009

comparing to A120733 I suppose it is meant :

a(n) = Number of matrices with positive integer entries such that sum
of all entries is equal to n.

n=1: [1]
n=2: [2],[1,1], [1;1]

The matrices must be of dimensions r x c <= n
a(n) is the sum for k=1 to n of the product of

sum of ways to write k as a product = number of divisors of k = tau(k)

times

the number of decompositions of n in k terms > 0 (respecting the order)
= number of strictly increasing functions from [1,k] to [1,n] such that f(k)=n
= number of ways to chose k-1 (different) numbers among n-1 (without order)
= binomial(n-1,k-1)

a(n) = sum( k=1,n, tau(k)*binomial(n-1,k-1))

this is indeed equal to A101509.

Maximilian