[seqfan] Re: reply-to address on SeqFan list

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 21:05:05 CET 2009

(to seqfan members: sorry for this somewhat technical thread,
but it may be of interest to a portion of the list members)

Max,

I am not opposed to changing the rule for the reply-to, even if it
has other drawbacks.

But concerning the list server address, I am
forced by the current behavior and interpretation by large ISP mail servers
of the SMTP protocol, of anti-spam/anti-relay software and procedures, etc.
to maintain it as it is.

The address seqfan at seqfan.eu should be considered as a convenient
alias, the full address is seqfan at list.seqfan.eu and it is the one
advertised by the mailing list system otherwise many servers
treat its messages as spam and bounce them despite list.seqfan.eu
being a MX of seqfan.eu and other classical best practices.

There is almost never duplication of message in the cases you cite
because the original message in most cases has a unique mailID
which is looked up by the mailing list servers and not sent two times
to subscribers. There is duplication if the sender of the reply send it
directly also to subscribers of seqfan.

Olivier