[seqfan] Re: Interfaces to the OEIS:

Alexey Beshenov al at beshenov.ru
Mon Jan 26 19:45:37 CET 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 21:05:02 N. J. A. Sloane wrote:
> Dear Sequence Fans
>
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> Max Alekseyev said (today) that:
> > ... other OEIS interfaces exist, e.g.:
> >
> > Math.OEIS for haskell:
> > http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/oeis/0.2/doc/html/Mat
> >h-OEIS.html
> >
> > sage.databases.sloane in SAGE:
> > http://www.sagemath.org/doc/ref/module-sage.databases.sloane.html
> >
> > etc. etc.
> >
> > I'm just curious whether each such interface should have a
> > permission from Neil. For me such interfaces look like just a
> > slightly different way to access OEIS, not stealing any
> > intellectual rights.
> > If there is no need to request a permission for using any
> > particular browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc.) to access
> > OEIS, why there is such a need for using math software instead of
> > a browser?
>
> Me: I agree with this point of view.  It is OK for browsers and
> mathematical software to query the OEIS web site, as long as this
> is done within reasonable limits (for example, it should not put
> too great a load on the server here).
>
> On the other hand, it is not OK to distribute a copy of the OEIS
> with any software.
>
> Neil Sloane
>
> I will copy this to Alexey Beshenov and Andre Maute, who seem to be
> involved with the Maxima interface to the OEIS, which is what
> started this thread.

I should note that

 1. The mentioned stuff is not a part of Maxima CAS.

 2. I don't plan to redistribute the EIS DB in any way. Actually,
I developed software which slightly transforms the eisBTfryXXXXX.txt
files from http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/ and allows to
work with them from a local system. I uploaded the "snapshot"
(a transformed version of eisBTfryXXXXX.txt) only for testing purposes
and I planed to remove it soon.

--
Sweetmorn, Chaos 26 YOLD 3175
Alexey Beshenov  http://beshenov.ru/