[seqfan] Triplicate

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Jul 11 00:16:29 CEST 2009

A001972, A130519, and A093934
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/?q=id%3AA001972|id%3AA130519|id%3AA093934
are all three essentially the same, differing only in the number of
initial zeros.

... and just to add another complication, I have another expression for
this sequence -- floor(n^2/8) -- which suggests that there should be 3
initial zeros; this is different from any of the existing three.

A093934, I think, can just be dropped; it's definition is the same as
A001972, except for the x in the numerator (hence the initial zero),
and the denominator is factored completely in A093934, but only
partially in A001972.

I guess I'm inclined to keep A130519, with a comment that it is
essentially the same as A001972; on the grounds that people searching
for the sequence with some (reasonable) number of initial zeros ought
to find something.  I would then add my formula to A001972: a(n) =
floor((n+3)^2/8).

I'm not totally happy with this, however.  Does anyone have a different
suggestion?

Franklin T. Adams-Watters