[seqfan] Knol Adds LaTex Editor

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Thu Jul 30 05:18:47 CEST 2009

Knol has — finally — added an formula editor
that supports a moderate subset of the LaTeX
markup language.

See http://knol.google.com/k/knol-help/equations-in-knol/si57lahl1w25/356#view

This should do a lot to enhance Knol's support of technical writing in math and science.

At any rate, the lack of TeX support was the main thing that kept many people
from developing more knols since the initial roll-out of the project.  But the
formula editor is very nice — one of the few WYSIWYG editors I've seen that is
actually easier than Marking It Up Yourself.  And the TeX images line up and
size up seamlessly with the rest of the text — unless you've grown fond of
that ransom note math effect that MediaWiki gives you on most ¬Apple browsers.

For example, some of my math and logic knols —

http://knol.google.com/k/jon-awbrey/hypostatic-abstraction/3fkwvf69kridz/7
http://knol.google.com/k/jon-awbrey/logical-graphs-1/3fkwvf69kridz/3
http://knol.google.com/k/jon-awbrey/logical-graphs-2/3fkwvf69kridz/8
http://knol.google.com/k/jon-awbrey/peirces-law/3fkwvf69kridz/10
http://knol.google.com/k/jon-awbrey/praeclarum-theorema/3fkwvf69kridz/9

Jon Awbrey

cc: Arisbe, Conceptual Graphs, Cybernetics, Inquiry, SeqFan, SUO

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey