[seqfan] Re: Destinies of sums of proper divisors.

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Jul 6 19:48:26 CEST 2009

Actually, if n is large with many prime divisors, and is divisible by
larger power of 2, the next term is quite likely to continue to be
divisible by that power of 2; it is perhaps as likely to to increase
this exponent as it is to decrease it.  So these trajectories do not,
in general, get stuck in this particular pattern.

On the other hand, almost everybody who has worked with these things
believes that there are, indeed, divergent trajectories, and that 276
is very likely one of them.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters