[seqfan] Re: Sloane's Sequence A023052

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Mon Jun 15 03:03:55 CEST 2009

The short answer is no, we do not know whether A023052 is finite.

For "numbers that are the sum of the kth powers of their digits" for some fixed k, or "d-digit numbers that are the sum of the dth power of their digits" (narcissistic numbers), you can prove that the numbers in question have a bounded number of digits, so that the sequences must be finite. But for powerful(3) numbers, which are "numbers that are the sum of the kth power of their digits for some k" (A023052), there is no such argument, there is no bound on the number of digits. So we cannot prove A023052 finite by the same sort of argument, on the other hand, to prove the A023052 infinite, the most likely proof would be to exhibit an infinite subset, but this has never been done and seems unlikely. So it is not known if A023052 is finite or infinite, and we probably won't for a very long time if ever.

At one time, Gusev had a list of all elements of A023052 up to 10^50 online. At that time, the OEIS did not include b-files, or I would probably have copied this list to the OEIS. By the time b-files were establish, Gusev's list had disappeared and I have not been able to find it.