[seqfan] Re: Sequence A019334

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Wed Jun 17 04:15:51 CEST 2009

n is a primitive root of p if n generates all the nonzero residues modulo p.

In the case p = 2, the primitive root 1 generates all residues modulo 2. But so does 3 or any odd number, which are all congruent to 1 (mod 2).

In the general case, if r is a primitive root of prime p, then r+pk is also a primitive root of p.

In most treatments of primitive roots of p, the context is modulo p arithmetic, so primitive roots of p are generally considered residues modulo p, which are expressed by numbers less than p. If we honor that convention, 3 would not be considered a primitive root of 2.

So I will leave it to seqfan (Neil) as to whether values >= p should be considered primitive roots of p with regard to the sequences in question.