[seqfan] Re: Question on primes

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Jun 10 11:21:21 CEST 2009

I think it's hard; I'm also pretty sure it's true.

Up to 10^8, there are no prime gaps big enough that (p+1)*(q-1) <=
((p+q)/2 - 1)^2.

To violate this, one would need to have q >= p + 4 + sqrt(8*(p+1)).
Prime gaps on the order of sqrt(p) are generally believed not to exist.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters