[seqfan] Re: A004249, A007516

Jack Brennen jfb at brennen.net
Wed Jun 10 20:59:34 CEST 2009

A007516 appears to be incorrect in the first term.

By the definition, note that for all "normal" values of n,
   a(n) = log(a(n+1)-1)/log(2)+1.

We can work backward from 65537...

   17, 5, 3, 2, 1, undefined.

There could be some debate about whether 1 is
actually part of the sequence.  It would correspond
to the case where there are -1 (negative one) twos
in the exponent-tower, which is probably venturing
into the absurd.  But it seems clear that placing
1 immediately before 3 doesn't make sense.  If 1
is in the sequence, it surely must be followed by 2.

   Jack