[seqfan] Re: Counting Problem

Tanya Khovanova mathoflove-seqfan at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 02:09:48 CEST 2009

Harvey,

You missed our previous discussion and Max's prove by induction that the answer is always 1.

The prove is that after we take the last n-1 digits to be the previous number in the sequence, all odd possibilities for the first digit give different remainders mod 5. By pigeon hole principle, exactly one of them generates the needed number.

Tanya