[seqfan] Re: Squares in a grid

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Mar 7 11:54:06 CET 2009

I agree with everything you wrote.

"Distinct up to translation" means what you think it means.  Thus, the
comment in A024206 is wrong and should be corrected.  Another way
to say this is that we are looking for squares equivalent up to
translation,
reflection, and rotation of the (infinite) grid; the rotation taking
the
side of length 5 orthogonally to the 3/4/5 side does not preserve the
grid.  (This still leaves the comment in A024206 wrong, not just
misinterpreted.)

The sequence matching the comment in A024206 is in fact the triangular
numbers (offset by one: A000217(n-1) = C(n,2) = n(n-1)/2).  All that
matters for this is the ordered pair of numbers representing the change
in the x and y coordinates; choosing the side to be counted uniquely,
these must be 0 <= y, 1 <= x, with x + y < n.  There are n-1 of these
summing to n-1 -- (1,n-2); (2,n-1); ...; (n-1,0) -- so the total number
is
C(n,2).

It is easy enough to see that this is equivalent to the corrected
property
for A024206; each square occurs twice under reflection except those
where the sides are either parallel to or at a 45 degree angle to the
grid;
the numbers of these are given by A032766 (shifted right), so we have
A000217(n-1) = 2*A024206(n) - A032766(n-1)
and the (rational) generating functions will then match.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters