[seqfan] Re: End of line characters in b-files

Peter Luschny peter.luschny at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:02:07 CET 2009

njas> We strongly prefer having each line end with the single character LF
njas> (because that is the unix standard format).  The other format (DOS format)
njas> has to be changed by me (individually for each file!).

"Most textual Internet protocols (including HTTP, SMTP, FTP, IRC and
many others)
mandate the use of ASCII CR+LF (0x0D 0x0A) on the protocol level, ...."

"In practice, there are many applications that erroneously use the C
newline character '\n' ...
This leads to problems when trying to communicate with systems
adhering to a stricter
interpretation of the standards; one such system is the qmail MTA that
actively refuses
to accept messages from systems that send bare LF instead of the
required CR+LF..."

From:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crlf

Cheers Peter