[seqfan] Re: Searching for 'factori[sz]e' (was: Re: seqfan at list.seqfan.eu)

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Mar 12 03:37:26 CET 2009

In fact, the standard spelling in the OEIS is the US spelling.  Neil
has a list
of non-standard (including English) spellings he periodically searches
for
and corrects.  I don't know if factorise is on his list, but I'm sure
it will be.

When you see discrepancies in spelling, it is best to send the notice
just
to Neil, not to the whole list.

The OEIS search will match both singular and plural (for regular
plurals
and a few irregular ones) (and also third person singular of verbs).
So
factorization and factorizations should get the same matches.  I don't
believe that it deals with any other suffixes.

Note, by the way, that you don't have to do a separate search for
each variant of the word.  You can search for:
factor|factored|factoring|factorize|factorise|factorization
and it will find anything matching any of these.

Having the OEIS automatically correct non-standard spellings in
searches is an interesting idea, but it isn't as easy as you might
think.  Besides setting up the translation dictionary, you have
to ensure that the non-standard spelling is not in the database
(or you can modify the program setting up the search to make
the translation there).

Franklin T. Adams-Watters