[seqfan] Re: Pi Day Question

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 21:11:49 CET 2009

In mathematics, a normal number is a real number whose digits in every
base show a uniform distribution, with all digits being equally
likely, all pairs of digits equally likely, all triplets of digits
equally likely, etc.

While a general proof can be given that almost all numbers are normal,
this proof is not constructive and only very few concrete numbers have
been shown to be normal. It is for instance widely believed that the
numbers √2, π, and e are normal, but a proof remains elusive.