[seqfan] Re: Destroying lattice squares

Robert Israel israel at math.ubc.ca
Wed Mar 25 08:48:02 CET 2009

It's a "set covering problem", which can be done by integer linear
programming for small n.
For the 5x5 case, Maple confirms that the optimal solution is 8 dots,
which can be placed at
[1, 1], [1, 3], [2, 2], [2, 3], [3, 0], [3, 1], [3, 2], [4, 4]
For the 6x6 case, Maple tells me that the optimal solution is 12 dots,
which can be placed at
[4, 0], [4, 4], [5, 2]
For the 7x7 case, Maple tells me that the optimal solution is 17 dots,
which can be placed at

Cheers,
Robert Israel