[seqfan] A more liberal OIES search engine (WAS: Another surprising omission from OEIS)

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:39:36 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Michael Porter
<ic_designer at verizon.net> wrote:

> A more "liberal" search engine sounds really hard to do, but one thing that might be really easy to do is add a paragraph to the "No sequence found" page.  It could suggest removing the first few terms and trying again, so instead of searching for 0, 1, 3, 9, 42, 206, 1352, search for 3, 9, 42, 206, 1352.
>
> - Michael

I would propose that when a match is not found with all the terms
intact, but matches are found with the first one or two terms removed,
that a link be displayed with text such as "Did you mean 3, 9, 42,
206, 1352?", and that clicking that link directs the user to the new
search results. This is what Google does when your search keyword(s)
contains a typo.

Andrew