[seqfan] Re: Orderly Numbers (and related sequences) submitted

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 02:03:47 CET 2009

Only prime orderly numbers appear to have multiple values of k, so for
the following remarks, let's assume that is the case. The following is
a more generalized version of Tony's remarks about the non-existence
of an orderly number with precisely 6 values of k....

The only numbers with a prime number of divisors are powers of primes.
If q is prime, then q^x has x+1 divisors. So to find an orderly number
with x values of k, where x+1 is prime, we must look for a prime of
the form q^x+2. All primes greater than 3 are congurent to +/- 1 mod
6, so if x is even (which it is if x+1 is an odd prime), then q>3 ==>
q^x is conguent to 1 mod 6, which means q^x + 2 is divisible by 3 and
therefore not prime.
Therefore the only primes of the form q^x + 2, where x>0 is even, are
those with q=3.
So the only orderly number with precisely 2 values of k is 11, because
11 = 3^2 + 2
The only orderly number with precisely 4 values of k is 83, because 83 = 3^4 + 2
3^6 + 2 is NOT prime, so there is no orderly number with precisely 6
values of k.
3^10 + 2 is prime (59051), so it is the only orderly number with
precisely 10 values of k
3^12 + 2 is NOT prime, so there is no orderly number with preciseuly
12 values of k.

For precisely 13 values of k, since 13+1 is not prime, you can also
look for primes of the form q*r^6+2 where q and r are prime.
You can try
3*r^6 + 2
q*3^6 + 2
or