[seqfan] Re: Another surprising omission from OEIS

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Fri Nov 13 14:53:21 CET 2009

I'm quite in agreement, Alonso.  Base-2 sequences (represented in base
10, of course) are frequently quite natural.

Generalizing my concern about base-dependent sequences, I don't like
arbitrariness in sequences. One thing that can bother me about a
sequence is its apparent arbitrariness.  "Numbers that are palindromic
in base 7 and repdigits in base 12" has two apparently arbitrary bases
and two apparently unrelated concepts (repdigit and palindrome).  It
would bother me less if there were some connection between
(different-base) repdigits and palindromes, or if the choice of base
was somehow natural ("Comments: 7 is the lowest base in which
palindromes have the foo property, which allows repunits in any
coprime base to be ..." -- this would reduce the 'degrees of freedom'
in some vague sense from 3 to 1).  A167389 is a real example of this:
though not base-dependent, it seems to be an entirely arbitrary
function
(argument(exp(-(ln(2)+W(n,-(1/2)*ln(2)))/ln(2)))*ln(2)+Im(W(n,-(1/2)*ln(2))))/(2*Pi*ln(2))
As always, I'm not sure whether the sequence is dull enough to be
excised, just another uninteresting sequence, or interesting but
lacking a motivating comment.

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University