[seqfan] Re: Sequences with simple recurrence definitions

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Nov 30 23:04:17 CET 2009

I tend to use a "rule of 2" for new sequences.  If I can find 2
apparently unrelated facts about a sequence, even if individually those
facts are not very interesting, I will usually submit it.

Of course, even one fact that falls (IMO) into the "definitely
interesting" category is enough to get me to submit the sequence.

I would say that the criteria for what sequences -- once submitted --
should be accepted are more lax than this.  Still, I think people
should be discouraged from submitting large numbers of similar
sequences about each of which only one independent, not very
interesting fact is known.

Any staggered sequence of two (or more) linear sequences will have a
fairly simple formula and several recurrence relations, including a
linear recurrence, and hence a rational generating function.  Thus,
something else would be required for such a sequence in order to meet
the rule of 2 criterion.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters