[seqfan] Re: Brick sequences

victor miller victorsmiller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 14:15:08 CET 2009

Peter Winkler gave a very nice talk on the problem of stacking bricks
at the joint mathematics meeting in January (here's a link to the
manuscript: http://math.dartmouth.edu/~pw/papers/maxover.pdf ).  In
the paper he gives the criterion for a structure of stacked bricks to
be stable.  It turns out to be a feasibility criterion in linear
programming.  They used it in computer experiments to find
configurations with large overhang.

Victor