[seqfan] Re: Guided browsing of the OEIS based upon personal preferences?

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Oct 25 17:56:56 CET 2009

There is an important difference between music and sequences: one is
interested in music for itself, but one is  interested in sequences for
what they are about.  This is an overstatement, of course, but it does
suggest one important point: one is browsing the entirety of the
entries in the database, not just the numeric sequences.

Properties like multiplicative and fractal are interesting for a
browser because they imply things about the the kind of sequence.
Injective and monotone not because almost any kind of sequence might
have these properties.

One should not overlook the value of the manually generated
cross-reference lines for a browser of this sort.  It would be nice to
distinguish different kinds of cross-references:

* Similar sequences.
* Sequences used in defining this one.
* "Administrative" references, such as the row lengths for "tabf"
sequences.
* Sequences which use this sequence in their definitions.

Of course, all too many sequences have few or no cross-references.

Another potentially useful indicator of similarity is references to the
same articles and web sites.  Again, such references are unfortunately
sparse in the database.  There are some weirdnesses here, too; one
sequence may reference an article in Wikipedia while another references
the corresponding article in the World of Mathematics; it is not easy
to automatically determine when such references are equivalent.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters