[seqfan] Re: Guided browsing of the OEIS based upon personal preferences?

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 02:56:06 CET 2009

It's a very interesting idea and I'm sure a good portion of users would
enjoy such an interface. Probably, those who like Pandora to explore music
would also like a Pandora-like UI to explore integer sequences.

Me, personally, I prefer to explore music by reading essays and books about
music I already like and following leads I find in those essays and books. I
discovered Robert Simpson's music when I read an "About the Author" blurb
that mentioned he's written his own Symphonies in addition to writing about
Symphonies written by others.

Roughly analogously, I explore integer sequences by calculating a few terms
and looking them up in the OEIS. If I get too many results, I just calculate
a few more terms; 99% of the time I find precisely the sequence I was
looking for as well as interesting related sequences. Sometimes I use words,
such as "divisor" or "Moebius." The keywords are often helpful.

Just my two cents.

Al