[seqfan] Re: author field

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:54:45 CET 2009

Generally, yes. You can't patent or copyright the powers of two, Pascal's
triangle, the Fibonacci numbers, solutions to Znám's problem, etc. but you
can copyright a paper about them or patent a device that takes advantage of
their properties. I suppose that there might be some cases in the OEIS where
the submitter had some choice as to which numbers to use in order
to achieve a particular purpose, much as a poet may sometimes have two words
to choose from to use at a particular line in a poem. But generally the
sequences already exist and we're just discovering them, maybe for the first
time, maybe the thousandth time.

Al