[seqfan] Re: author field

Alois Heinz heinz at hs-heilbronn.de
Wed Oct 28 23:15:28 CET 2009

Antti Karttunen schrieb:
> [ ... ]
> I think this is one of the nicest "serendipitous results" of OEIS. To
> find that somebody thought this same problem
> three hundred years ago, or that it surfaces in the wholly different context.
> (One reason I don't see much idea in concocting very contrived or
> artificial sequences: there is just no contact
> with anything else!)

Ok, but there are exceptions, I think:

- the new artificial sequence is used as an example or counterexample in
  a proof or disproof or for the performance of an algorithm
- the author can expect that there will be future references to the sequence
- the sequence shows a sort of beauty in some sense

Alois