[seqfan] Re: Without any discussion

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Tue Sep 1 13:49:59 CEST 2009

I'm not sure that 99% of mathematicians would agree with me (or even care).
That's why I took the poll. I got enough 1's to know I'm not completely
crazy.

In a situation where the exponent were continuous, I wouldn't argue that 0^0
= 1. The value would depend on the path of approach.

But in the realm of discrete exponents (number theory, set theory,
combinatorics, series, etc), 0^0 = 1 is the only value that makes sense.