[seqfan] Mathematical notation

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Sep 3 02:13:33 CEST 2009

Very interesting article.

I have a notational convenience of my own that I much prefer to the
standard notation.  Instead of writing, for example, Q^+ (that is, Q
with a superscript plus sign) for the positive rationals, I prefer to
write Q^> (Q with a superscript greater than).

The advantage of this is that I can then write Q^>= (Q with a
superscript greater than or equal) for the non-negative rationals; and
this is MUCH more convenient than Q^+ U {0}.  Likewise, Q^!= (Q
superscript not equal) is the non-zero rationals -- instead of Q - {0}
or Q^+ U Q^-.  (Q^= for {0} doesn't seem very useful, however.)

In the case of Z for the integers, there is the alternate notation N.
However, there seems to be some ambiguity as to whether N is supposed
to represent Z^> or Z^>=.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters