[seqfan] Re: Mathematical notation

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:54:47 CEST 2009

My teachers in french "college" (this would be first part of high school
for americans, age 11-14) used the following system inspired by Bourbaki
treaty's notations, that prepared us to further studies

k any field
k^* the field minus the zero element of the additive operation
\overline k : the completed field (for instance adding infinity to
a normed field)

So Z^+, Q^*, Q^+, Q^{*+}, \overline R, and all the variants applicable to
N, C, R, D (the decimal fractions) without needing any "union"
notation

I agree that your system is more coherent and more suggestive.

It could also be extended to include concepts needed in
semigroup theory for instance.

Olivier